TX LPN Schools, LPN Programs and LPN Salary Data
Interviews with Texas LPNs
Are you an LPN? We’d love to talk to you!
We will be interviewing Texas nurses for inclusion on LPN.com. If you are a nurse and would like to share your perspectives on nursing, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!
Texas LPN Stats:
Comfort Score Rank: #91 of 51
Benefit of RN Rank: #6 of 51
Avg. LPN Salary: $39,750
LPNs employed: 65,850
Top Cities in Texas for LPNs: Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, El Paso
Texas has a growing number of opportunities in the nursing field. Within the state, LPNs make up 28 % of nurses in the state. The Texas LPN comfort score is ranked 9th in the nation at 91. This takes into account the average LPN salary, average state salary and cost of living. The Texas RN comfort score is considerably higher at 144. This state is ranked 6th in the nation in the comfort difference in carrying an RN degree over an LPN degree. In this instance it would be advisable to continue your education and obtain an RN degree. Texas nursing schools and universities can provide more information that can help you pursue either degree. The cities of Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin and El Paso will have the most prevalent number of potential educational institutions and job opportunities for an LPN.
Checklist to become a Texas LPN:
- Earn your LPN Degree, 1 year of courses and hands-on practice.
- Apply for licensure with the Texas Board of Nursing ($85 fee) – Have your school send your transcript to them as well
- Obtain a CPR card and pass the NCLEX-PN exam
LPN Salaries in Texas
Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) in Texas earn an average of $19.57/hr and a yearly income of $40,710. An LPN can work in a variety of areas within the nursing field including nursing care facilities, hospitals or a physicians’ office. When choosing a career path within the industry, salary is only one piece to consider. Many LPNs find a more rewarding career in a family office rather than a hospital, despite a lower salary. Home health care agencies and long-term care facilities are the fastest growing potential employers. The LPN with several years of experience and those with certifications in geriatric health are going to be in higher demand. It is crucial to begin trying to figure out which area is the best fit for you as early as possible. Take advantage of all the offered nursing classes and programs as well as continue to educate yourself and research all the available options before deciding.
LPN Degree and Education in Texas
In the state of Texas, the practical nursing program is the quickest route to becoming a nurse. To earn a degree requires one year of courses as well as hands-on practice. You are required to obtain a CPR card, and pass the NCLEX-PN exam upon completion of the course. Registered nurses with at least a bachelor’s degree will have better job prospects than those without. In addition, all advanced practice specialties – clinical nurse specialists, nurse practitioners, midwives, and anesthetists – are and will remain in high demand, particularly in medically underserved areas such as inner cities and rural areas. Regardless of what training program is chosen, there is always the ability to advance your degree with bridge programs. With any questions about nursing programs and specific requirements, contact the admissions office of your chosen college or school.
All Texas licensed RNs and LPNs are required to renew their license every two years. All RNs and LPNs must complete twenty continuing education hours each renewal period. Nurses also must complete a two-hour continuing education course on bioterrorism. Nurses who work in the emergency room setting must complete a two-hour course on Forensic Evidence Collection.
Texas LPN Job Outlook
The nursing shortage in The United States is steadily increasing. There is a rising demand for new and more effective health procedures and life expectancy averages are continuing to climb. These issues will be reflected in the Texas health industry and help to create an extremely strong job outlook for LPNs. Texas hospitals, home health companies and doctor offices are now offering flexible schedules, educational benefits, higher pay and other incentives to retain their staff and to recruit new nurses. Some hospitals are even offering sign on bonuses or student loan reimbursement up to certain maximums.
The comfort score of 91 for an LPN in Texas ranks 9th in the nation. However, the RN comfort score of 144 for an RN in Texas ranks 6th in the nation. It is always advisable to continue working towards an RN degree but these numbers suggest it is highly worth the investment. Overall, the future for Texas nursing looks very bright. A career as an LPN in this state can provide opportunities and security.
Texas State Board of Nursing Website is www.bne.state.tx.us
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Vocational Nursing
- Medical Assistant
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Medical Assistant
Your success is our priority. For more than 40 years, we have dedicated ourselves to healthcare education because we want you to become the best healthcare professional possible. Our instructors and staff are dedicated to providing you with the in-demand, hands-on education employers expect so that you may thrive in your profession. Pima Medical Institute started changing lives in 1972 when Richard Luebke Sr. and his wife, JoAnn, brought to life their dream of providing students with a quality medical career education.
- Certificate - Medical Administrative Assistant
- Certificate - Medical Assistant
- Associate - Occupational Therapy Assistant
Do you want to start working toward a career that actually makes you excited? If so, an education from West Coast University (WCU) could be the perfect choice for you! This accredited, private University has a history that dates back over 100 years. Today, WCU offers health care degrees that will help prepare you and educate you on the current trends and issues within the health industry.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing