FL LPN Schools, LPN Programs and LPN Salary Data
Interviews with Florida LPNs
Are you an LPN? We’d love to talk to you!
Florida Nursing Interviews
We will be interviewing Florida nurses for inclusion on LPN.com. If you are a nurse and would like to share your perspectives on nursing, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!
Florida LPN Stats:
Comfort Score Rank: #30 of 51
Benefit of RN Rank: #33 of 51
Avg. LPN Salary: $39,440
LPNs employed: 43,350
Top Cities in Florida for LPNs: Orlando, Fort Meyers, Tampa Bay, Lakeland, Palm Bay, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Miami/Fort Lauderdale
Florida has a growing number of opportunities in the nursing field. Within the state, LPNs make up 22 % of nurses in the state. The Florida LPN comfort score is 73. This takes into account the average LPN salary, average state salary and cost of living. The Florida RN comfort score is slightly higher at 116. The difference between the two illustrates that obtaining an RN degree in this state is a nice increase in comfort but not large enough to be worth it to everyone. Florida nursing schools and universities can provide more information that can help you pursue either degree. In Florida, the cities Fort Meyers, Tampa Bay, Lakelund, Palm Bay, Jacksonville, Sarasota, and Miami/Fort Lauderdale will have the most prevalent number of potential educational institutions and job opportunities for an LPN.
Checklist to become a Florida LPN:
- Complete your LPN program, 1 year of courses and hands-on practice.
- Apply for licensure with the Florida Board of Nursing ($85 fee) – Have your school send your transcript to them as well
- Obtain a CPR card and pass the NCLEX-PN exam
LPN Salaries in Florida
Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) in Florida earn an average of $19.19/hr and a yearly income of $39,440. Nurses working in metropolitan areas tend to earn higher salaries than in non-metropolitan parts of the state, although there is likely to be a relatively higher cost of living in those areas. An LPN can work in a variety of areas within the nursing field including nursing care facilities, hospitals or a physicians’ office. Nurses working in general medical and surgical hospitals typically earn more than those working in the offices of physicians. Also, nurses make more per hour when shifts are at night or during weekends and holidays. When choosing a career path within the industry, salary is only one piece to consider. Many LPNs find a more rewarding career in a family office rather than a hospital, despite a lower salary. It is advisable for LPNs to look towards home health care agencies and long-term care facilities are the fastest growing potential employers. The LPN with several years of experience and those with certifications in geriatric health are going to be in higher demand. It is crucial to begin trying to figure out which area is the best fit for you as early as possible. Take advantage of all the offered nursing classes and programs as well as continue to educate yourself and research all the available options before deciding.
LPN Degree and Education in Florida
In the state of Florida, the practical nursing program is the quickest route to becoming a nurse. To earn a degree requires one year of courses as well as hands-on practice. You are required to obtain a CPR card, and pass the NCLEX-PN exam upon completion of the LPN course. Florida registered nurses with at least a bachelor’s degree will have better job prospects than those without a bachelor’s. With any questions about nursing programs and specific requirements, contact the admissions office of your chosen college or school.
All Florida-licensed RNs, LPNs, ARNPs and CNs are in a 24 month renewal cycle and must complete 24 hours of continuing education every renewal period. Included in the 24 hours is a mandatory 2-hour course on Prevention of Medical Errors. A one-time one-hour course on HIV/Aids is required prior to your first renewal. A 2-hour course on Domestic Violence is required every third renewal. Courses will be provided by an approved Florida state board program.
Florida LPN Job Outlook
The nursing shortage in The United States is steadily increasing. There is a rising demand for new and more effective health procedures and life expectancy averages are continuing to climb. These issues will be reflected in the Florida health industry and help to create an extremely strong job outlook for LPNs. There are many nursing opportunities in all areas of Florida. Florida hospitals, home health companies and doctor offices are now offering flexible schedules, educational benefits, higher pay and other incentives to retain their staff and to recruit new nurses. Some hospitals are even offering sign on bonuses or student loan reimbursement up to certain maximums.
The comfort score of 73 indicates that an LPN in Florida is fairly compensated for the job they perform. The state ranks in the middle as far as the national scores. Obtaining an RN degree will increase the score to 116. It is always advisable to continue working towards an RN degree. Overall, the future for Florida nursing looks very bright. A career as an LPN in this state can provide opportunities and security.
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Practical Nursing
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Patient Care Technician
- And more...
Get personalized attention at UMA.
One-on-one tutoring, pre-interview coaching, job search assistance, alumni services—they’re all included in Ultimate Medical Academy’s competitively priced tuition. As a nationally accredited school, we provide quality career training at our campus in Clearwater, Florida. Let’s talk about your needs, your career goals and how UMA can help you succeed.
Gainful employment information can be found at ultimatemedical.edu/gainful-employment.pdf and includes information on tuition, loan debt, completion, placement and occupations.
- Nursing Assistant
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Assisting
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
The Florida State Board of Nursing Website is www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/index.html.