New Jersey LPN
NJ LPN Schools, LPN Programs and LPN Salary Data
Interviews with New Jersey LPNs
Are you an LPN? We’d love to talk to you!
We will be interviewing New Jersey nurses for inclusion on LPN.com. If you are a nurse and would like to share your perspectives on nursing, please contact email@example.com. Thanks!
New Jersey LPN Stats:
Salary Rank: #8
Comfort Score Rank: #25 of 51
Benefit of RN Rank: #46 of 51
Avg. LPN Salary: $50,400
LPNs employed: 15,530
New Jersey has a growing number of opportunities in the nursing field. Within the state, LPNs make up 17% of nurses in the state. The New Jersey LPN comfort score is 76. This takes into account the average LPN salary, average state salary and cost of living. The New Jersey RN comfort score is only slightly higher at 108. The difference between the two illustrates that obtaining an RN degree in this state is a nice increase in comfort but the improvement is not as much as many other states in the nation. New Jersey nursing schools and universities can provide more information that can help you pursue either degree.
Checklist to become a New Jersey LPN:
- Earn your LPN Degree, 1 year of courses and hands-on practice.
- Apply for licensure with the New Jersey Board of Nursing ($85 fee) – Have your school send your transcript to them as well
- Obtain a CPR card and pass the NCLEX-PN exam
LPN Salaries in New Jersey
Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) in New Jersey earn an average of $24.21/hr and a yearly income of $50,400. Nurses working in metropolitan areas tend to earn higher salaries than in non-metropolitan parts of the state, although there is likely to be a relatively higher cost of living in those areas. An LPN can work in a variety of areas within the nursing field including nursing care facilities, hospitals or a physicians’ office. Nurses working in general medical and surgical hospitals typically earn more than those working in the offices of physicians. Also, nurses make more per hour when shifts are at night or during weekends and holidays. When choosing a career path within the industry, salary is only one piece to consider. Many LPNs find a more rewarding career in a family office rather than a hospital, despite a lower salary. It is advisable for LPNs to look towards home health care agencies and long-term care facilities are the fastest growing potential employers. The LPN with several years of experience and those with certifications in geriatric health are going to be in higher demand. It is crucial to begin trying to figure out which area is the best fit for you as early as possible. Take advantage of all the offered nursing classes and programs as well as continue to educate yourself and research all the available options before deciding.
LPN Degree and Education in New Jersey
In the state of New Jersey, the practical nursing program is the quickest route to becoming a nurse. To earn a degree requires one year of courses as well as hands-on practice. You are required to obtain a CPR card, and pass the NCLEX-PN exam upon completion of the LPN course. With any questions about nursing programs and specific requirements, contact the admissions office of your chosen college or school.
In New Jersey, all licensed RNs and LPNs are required to renew their licenses every 2 years. It is mandatory to complete 30 continuing education hours every renewal period. Continuing education hours must be state board approved.
New Jersey LPN Job Outlook
The nursing shortage in The United States is steadily increasing. There is a rising demand for new and more effective health procedures and life expectancy averages are continuing to climb. These issues will be reflected in the New Jersey health industry and help to create an extremely strong job outlook for LPNs. New Jersey hospitals, home health companies and doctor offices are now offering flexible schedules, educational benefits, higher pay and other incentives to retain their staff and to recruit new nurses. Some hospitals are even offering sign on bonuses or student loan reimbursement up to certain maximums.
The comfort score of 76 for New Jersey LPNs ranks in the middle as far as the national scores. Obtaining an RN degree will increase the score to 108 but the increase in comfort, though decent, is one of the lowest in the nation. However, in the nursing field, it is always advisable to continue working towards an RN degree. As a licensed practical nurse one should look towards home health care agencies and long term care facilities as they are the fastest growing potential employers. A career as an LPN in this state can provide opportunities and security.
The New Jersey State Board of Nursing Website is www.nj.gov/oag/ca/nursing/nurfaq.htm
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Nursing (Practical)
- Nursing Assistant
- Medical Assistant
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- BS - Nursing
- AS - Medical Assisting and Administration
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Master of Science in Nursing-Family Nurse Practitioner
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assisting
Founded in 1819, the University of Cincinnati (UC) has been categorized at the highest level of higher education: the Carnegie Commission (which evaluates the achievements of faculty, current research, leading edge curriculum, and accreditation) has recognized UC as a Doctoral/Research University — Extensive. Each year, this urban, public, nonprofit university graduates 5,000 students, adding to more than 200,000 living alumni around the world. The online programs connect students to a dynamic community of devoted educators, accessible research, and a dedicated support team.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Adult-Gero Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nurse-Midwifery
- Master of Science in Nursing - Womens Health Nurse Practitioner
The Berkeley Advantage®is part of a proven approach to career-focused education that can help students prepare for success.
- Nurse Aide Certification Course
- AAS in Medical Assistant
- Certificate in Medical Assistant
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
- Master of Science in Nursing Online
Advance your career at Dawn Career Institute. Gain the specialized knowledge and skills to help prepare you for a new career quickly and conveniently.
- Medical Assistant