Labor and Delivery Nurse
Labor & Delivery Nurse’s Job Description
Labor and delivery nurses are nurses that assist women during the process of childbirth. Labor and delivery nurses are very similar to perinatal nurses, only they just assist during labor verses seeing the woman during the entire pregnancy like perinatal nurses do. During a woman’s labor, the labor and delivery nurse monitors the fetal heart rate in order to determine if the baby is handling labor well. The nurse also monitors the woman’s blood pressure, temperature, strength and timing of contractions, and cervical dilation. The nurse can assist the woman in finding ways to help labor progress more quickly and comfortably. During the actual delivery, the labor and delivery nurse can help coach the woman with breathing exercises and pushing.
What does an L&D Nurse Do?
If complications arise during labor, the nurse alerts the attending physicians so that further interventions can occur, such as a caesarian delivery. The nurse also assists the physicians when epidurals or pain medications are administered, episiotomies are performed, or when the woman requires preparation for a caesarian delivery. The labor and delivery nurse must also be comfortable with starting IVs in order to administer fluids and the labor-stimulating drug Pitocin.
A labor and delivery nurse must possess excellent critical thinking skills and an ability to make decisions quickly using good professional judgment. Each woman who is admitted to the labor and delivery unit has at least one baby who also becomes the patient of the nurse. The nurse must be able to recognize complications and act quickly in order to stabilize the situation and communicate with the patient, the patient’s family, and the appropriate physicians and specialists in order to ensure a safe and healthy delivery.
Skills & Education
In order to become a labor and delivery nurse, one must have earned an Associate of Science in Nursing or a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree through an accredited college or university. Students can take elective courses in labor and delivery in order to better be prepared for a future career as a labor and delivery nurse. Following graduation, the student must successfully pass the National Council Licensure Examination, or NCLEX. Board certification can be obtained following clinical experience as a staff nurse and working in the labor and delivery unit.
While the job outlook for nurses in many areas of practice is positive, it is estimated that positions as a labor and delivery nurse may be harder to obtain over the next decade. This is in part due to the fact that labor and delivery is a popular area of nursing with many registered nurses choosing to specialize in that area. It is also an area of nursing with a lower turnover rate than is found in other nursing specialties.
The average yearly salary for a nurse specializing in labor and delivery is approximately $55,000 a year. A labor and delivery nurse who has several years of experience can expect to make closer to $70,000 or more. Those nurses with a master’s degree or higher can also make a significantly higher annual salary. The annual pay level for a labor and delivery nurse is often higher in metropolitan areas verses rural areas. The average salary is also dependent on the area of the country one practices in.
Southern Technical College provides education and training in a variety of medical and technical areas that enable graduates to obtain entry-level employment. As a student at Southern Technical College, you will have the opportunity learn in several different ways.
- A.S. - Nursing
- A.S. - Medical Assistant
- Diploma - Medical Assistant
As the world is adjusting to new realities, we are prepared to help you work towards a successful future in a manner that is safer for you and the community at large. Here's how:
- We offer in-demand, career-focused education delivered through your local campus using live, interactive synchronous online delivery. There's also the flexibility to transition to an in-seat class environment once the current situation is resolved.
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Licensed Vocational Nurse
- Medical Assistant
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Nursing
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Accelerated)
- And more...
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- Certificate in Licensed Practical Nursing (LPN)
- Associate of Science in Health Science - Pre-Nursing
- Certificate in Medical Assisting
- And more...
- Nursing - Associate of Applied Science
- Practical Nursing
- Medical Assistant
- Master the knowledge, skills, and attitudes of a discipline
- Apply critical thinking and professional judgment skills in both problem analysis, and planning and implementing solutions
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing, and through use of technological media
- Exhibit the highest ethical and professional standards and integrity
- Function collaboratively as members of interdisciplinary teams
- Contribute to continuous quality improvement efforts.
- Use information literacy skills necessary to support continuous, lifelong learning
- Appreciate cultural differences and values in order to serve their communities as responsible professionals in a diverse society
- Vocational Nursing - Certificate
- Nurse Assistant - Certificate
- Medical Assistant - Certificate
Sullivan University is Kentucky's largest private college or university, offering higher education for people with higher goals. At Sullivan University, we focus on in-demand programs that lead to successful careers. Whether you're a high school student considering college for the first time, an adult returning to school or someone seeking professional development, you'll be surprised at the variety and range of alternatives Sullivan University offers.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
Arizona College prepares students to work in the 'real world' of medicine. With the use of lecture and laboratory teaching, we provide our students with hands on experience.
- Medical Assisting
Our mission is YOUR SUCCESS!
When you succeed, we succeed. That is why we provide high-quality, specialized career preparation for all our students. Our goal is to help you find your rewarding career.
Our Mission Statement:
To provide high-quality, specialized career preparation or enhancement to meet and cope with technological changes resulting in employment and career success.
- Medical Assisting, Diploma