OH LPN Schools, LPN Programs and LPN Salary Data
Interviews with Ohio LPNs
Are you an LPN? We’d love to talk to you!
We will be interviewing Ohio nurses for inclusion on LPN.com. If you are a nurse and would like to share your perspectives on nursing, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!
Ohio LPN Stats:
Salary Rank: #7
Comfort Score Rank: #10 of 51
Benefit of RN Rank: #34 of 51
Avg. LPN Salary: $39,520
LPNs employed: 40,860
Top Cities in Ohio for LPNs: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Akron, Dayton, Columbus, Toledo
Ohio has a growing number of opportunities in the nursing field. Within the state,LPNs make up 26 % of nurses in the state. The Ohio LPN comfort score is 87. This takes into account the average LPN salary, average state salary and cost of living. This score ranks 10th in the nation for comfort among the LPN profession. The Ohio RN comfort score is considerably higher at 122. It is always advisable to obtain an RN degree and the scores in this state indicate it would be a worthwhile investment. Ohio nursing schools and universities can provide more information that can help you pursue either degree. In Ohio, the cities of Cleveland, Cincinnati, Akron, Dayton, Columbus and Toledo will have the highest number of potential educational institutions and job opportunities for an LPN.
Checklist to become a Ohio LPN:
- Earn your LPN Degree, 1 year of courses and hands-on practice.
- Apply for licensure with the Ohio Board of Nursing ($85 fee) – Have your school send your transcript to them as well
- Obtain a CPR card and pass the NCLEX-PN exam
LPN Salaries in Ohio
Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) in Ohio earn an average of $19.19/hr and a yearly income of $39,910. Nurses working in metropolitan areas tend to earn higher salaries than in non-metropolitan parts of the state, although there is likely to be a relatively higher cost of living in those areas. An LPN can work in a variety of areas within the nursing field including nursing care facilities, hospitals or a physicians’ office. Nurses working in general medical and surgical hospitals typically earn more than those working in the offices of physicians. Also, nurses make more per hour when shifts are at night or during weekends and holidays. When choosing a career path within the industry, salary is only one piece to consider. Many LPNs find a more rewarding career in a family office rather than a hospital, despite a lower salary. It is advisable for LPNs to look towards home health care agencies and long-term care facilities are the fastest growing potential employers. The LPN with several years of experience and those with certifications in geriatric health are going to be in higher demand. It is crucial to begin trying to figure out which area is the best fit for you as early as possible. Take advantage of all the offered nursing classes and programs as well as continue to educate yourself and research all the available options before deciding.
LPN Degree and Education in Ohio
In the state of Ohio, the practical nursing program is the quickest route to becoming a nurse. To earn a degree requires one year of courses as well as hands-on practice. You are required to obtain a CPR card and pass the NCLEX-PN exam upon completion of the LPN course. With any questions about nursing programs and specific requirements, contact the admissions office of your chosen college or school.
License renewal in Ohio is required every 2 years for both LPNs and RNs. There are 24 continuing education requirements for renewing a nursing license and a mandatory one-hour course on nursing law. Continuing education hours consist of 50 minutes and are available online.
Ohio LPN Job Outlook
The nursing shortage in The United States is steadily increasing. There is a rising demand for new and more effective health procedures and life expectancy averages are continuing to climb. These issues will be reflected in the Ohio health industry and help to create an extremely strong job outlook for LPNs. In Ohio, health care related occupations are projected to account for approximately one in seven new jobs. Among those occupations, registered nursing is expected to grow the fastest. It is estimated that Ohio will reach a shortfall of almost 32,000 registered nurses by the year 2020. Ohio hospitals, home health companies and doctor offices are now offering flexible schedules, educational benefits, higher pay and other incentives to retain their staff and to recruit new nurses. Some hospitals are even offering sign on bonuses or student loan reimbursement up to certain maximums.
The Ohio LPN comfort score is 87 and ranks 10th in the nation. Obtaining an RN degree will increase the score to 122. It is always advisable to continue working towards an RN degree and these numbers suggest it is worth the investment to do so. As a licensed practical nurse one should look towards home health care agencies and long term care facilities as they are the fastest growing potential employers. A career as an LPN in this state can provide opportunities and security.
The Ohio State Board of Nursing Website is www.nursing.ohio.gov
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Practical Nursing
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Patient Care Technician
- And more...
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
Professional Skills Institute provides industry-modeled, hands-on medical training to prepare graduates for a new career as a Medical Office Assistant, Medical Billing and Coding Specialist, or Pharmacy Technician.
You could start your healthcare career in less time than you think! PSI is the choice for healthcare training that leads to employment.
- Practical Nursing
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Assisting