OH LPN Schools, LPN Programs and LPN Salary Data
Interviews with Ohio LPNs
Are you an LPN? We’d love to talk to you!
We will be interviewing Ohio nurses for inclusion on LPN.com. If you are a nurse and would like to share your perspectives on nursing, please contact email@example.com. Thanks!
Ohio LPN Stats:
Salary Rank: #7
Comfort Score Rank: #10 of 51
Benefit of RN Rank: #34 of 51
Avg. LPN Salary: $39,520
LPNs employed: 40,860
Top Cities in Ohio for LPNs: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Akron, Dayton, Columbus, Toledo
Ohio has a growing number of opportunities in the nursing field. Within the state,LPNs make up 26 % of nurses in the state. The Ohio LPN comfort score is 87. This takes into account the average LPN salary, average state salary and cost of living. This score ranks 10th in the nation for comfort among the LPN profession. The Ohio RN comfort score is considerably higher at 122. It is always advisable to obtain an RN degree and the scores in this state indicate it would be a worthwhile investment. Ohio nursing schools and universities can provide more information that can help you pursue either degree. In Ohio, the cities of Cleveland, Cincinnati, Akron, Dayton, Columbus and Toledo will have the highest number of potential educational institutions and job opportunities for an LPN.
Checklist to become a Ohio LPN:
- Earn your LPN Degree, 1 year of courses and hands-on practice.
- Apply for licensure with the Ohio Board of Nursing ($85 fee) – Have your school send your transcript to them as well
- Obtain a CPR card and pass the NCLEX-PN exam
LPN Salaries in Ohio
Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) in Ohio earn an average of $19.19/hr and a yearly income of $39,910. Nurses working in metropolitan areas tend to earn higher salaries than in non-metropolitan parts of the state, although there is likely to be a relatively higher cost of living in those areas. An LPN can work in a variety of areas within the nursing field including nursing care facilities, hospitals or a physicians’ office. Nurses working in general medical and surgical hospitals typically earn more than those working in the offices of physicians. Also, nurses make more per hour when shifts are at night or during weekends and holidays. When choosing a career path within the industry, salary is only one piece to consider. Many LPNs find a more rewarding career in a family office rather than a hospital, despite a lower salary. It is advisable for LPNs to look towards home health care agencies and long-term care facilities are the fastest growing potential employers. The LPN with several years of experience and those with certifications in geriatric health are going to be in higher demand. It is crucial to begin trying to figure out which area is the best fit for you as early as possible. Take advantage of all the offered nursing classes and programs as well as continue to educate yourself and research all the available options before deciding.
LPN Degree and Education in Ohio
In the state of Ohio, the practical nursing program is the quickest route to becoming a nurse. To earn a degree requires one year of courses as well as hands-on practice. You are required to obtain a CPR card and pass the NCLEX-PN exam upon completion of the LPN course. With any questions about nursing programs and specific requirements, contact the admissions office of your chosen college or school.
License renewal in Ohio is required every 2 years for both LPNs and RNs. There are 24 continuing education requirements for renewing a nursing license and a mandatory one-hour course on nursing law. Continuing education hours consist of 50 minutes and are available online.
Ohio LPN Job Outlook
The nursing shortage in The United States is steadily increasing. There is a rising demand for new and more effective health procedures and life expectancy averages are continuing to climb. These issues will be reflected in the Ohio health industry and help to create an extremely strong job outlook for LPNs. In Ohio, health care related occupations are projected to account for approximately one in seven new jobs. Among those occupations, registered nursing is expected to grow the fastest. It is estimated that Ohio will reach a shortfall of almost 32,000 registered nurses by the year 2020. Ohio hospitals, home health companies and doctor offices are now offering flexible schedules, educational benefits, higher pay and other incentives to retain their staff and to recruit new nurses. Some hospitals are even offering sign on bonuses or student loan reimbursement up to certain maximums.
The Ohio LPN comfort score is 87 and ranks 10th in the nation. Obtaining an RN degree will increase the score to 122. It is always advisable to continue working towards an RN degree and these numbers suggest it is worth the investment to do so. As a licensed practical nurse one should look towards home health care agencies and long term care facilities as they are the fastest growing potential employers. A career as an LPN in this state can provide opportunities and security.
The Ohio State Board of Nursing Website is www.nursing.ohio.gov
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Practical Nursing
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Patient Care Technician
- And more...
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
We Change Lives...One Person At A Time. ® Start your career education with Daymar College Online. We offer certificate, diploma, associate, and bachelor's degree programs for careers in the business, medical, legal, and computer technology fields. Our programs offer hands-on education and classroom discussions.
- Medical Assisting - Administrative, Associates Degree
Harrison College prides itself on truly knowing our students -- their lives and families, obstacles and motivations and their dreams and goals. We also know their potential -- that's why for more than 100 years, our mission has been to provide a supportive environment, with the expectation that their success also benefits their families, friends and communities. That's the Harrison Difference.
- Medical Assisting Diploma
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- MSN Leadership in Healthcare Systems
- Interested in Helping Others? Get Educated in the Medical Field.
- Medical Assisting, Nursing, Health Sciences Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
Get personalized attention with UMA.
One-on-one tutoring, pre-interview coaching, job search assistance, alumni services-they’re all included in Ultimate Medical Academy’s competitively priced tuition. As a nationally accredited school, we provide quality career training online and at our campus in Clearwater, Florida. Let’s talk about your needs, your career goals and how UMA can help you succeed.
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).